Saturday, September 04, 2004

DAMN INTERNET EXPLORER AND UNSTABLE COMPUTERNESS

I had typed quite a lot for you dear reader, but then it went and crashed on me. Oh how much I loathe my computer right now. I'd rather a slower one that actually turned on when I pressed the power button, not when it felt like it, and one that didn't crash at the drop of a proverbial hat.

I had something about time in my post - uh, something about how time seems to stretch out during holidays and afterwards when you look back it seems like nothing happened. Perhaps we measure time by events (eg breakfast) - when nothing goes on it seems like time takes forever and when you look back and haven't done much, it seems like time was never there at all. Hrm. That doesn't explain why time flies when you're having fun though.

...and then there was the main subject of the post. I went to the movies today along with other people - Steph, Rayho, Rikky, Simon, Janko, Ju. Rikky told me at 8.00 that they were meeting at the cinemas at 8.30 - so I took a very very quick shower and ran to the movies in 20 minutes (which is pretty fast for me), only to find that I had to wait around until 8.35 for Raymond to show up.

When everybody finally arrived, it was time to commence The Choosing Of The Movie. We had a few options:

Hellboy - Unfortunately this was slated to begin at 8.45 and by the time everybody was here it seemed like it would have been a rush to get in, so we decided against it.
Super Size Me - I wasn't about to pay to watch a documentary.
The Village - I didn't know much about it. Supposedly it's from the same guy who wrote signs and involves some supernatural stuff and a village in colonial America.
Dodgeball - With an unimpressive tagline that involves balls and something about feeling if my memory serves me well, it didn't really appeal to me. Although it did have Ben Stiller (who has been in SO many movies lately...) of Zoolander excellence, the thought of paying to watch men in short shorts throw balls at each other didn't fare well in my head.
I Robot - It has Will Smith. I do not like him.

The group decision whittled the selection down to The Village and Dodgeball. At this stage, it made more sense to have taken The Village because that gave us time to go to the arcades. Hurrah! Rikky and Ju played the shitty horse game, which really really sucks, and then I challenged Rikky to the DDR machine but the fucking thing errored and wasted my $2 (and I was winning as well....;_;)

And then we went into the movie cinema. Saw the ads, nothing special - the trailer for Alien Vs Predator was good though, I'd like to go see that when it comes out.

Blah. Anyway. My review on The Village (MAJOR SPOILERS):

This is kind of like a suspense horror omgwhatshappening movie - with a twist. The twist comes along, you'll know the twist when it hits you. For a while you'll think the twist is a different twist, but the real twist was the first twist.But yes...it wasn't a particularly imaginative twist, I thought, but...anyway. This movie is the only one that's managed to make me startle at the sight of a big red thing - the loud music cue might have helped but hey. There is good use of red through the movie, symbolising different things...and I didn't really expect much from it and was pleasantly surprised. There is a blind "heroine" in the movie. She's pretty good, both in looks and acting.

Speaking of blind females, I'd like to date a blind female. They wouldn't give a shit what I was wearing.

The monsters rock. <3 the monsters.

Yeah. But the movie...it's good. The concept behind it is semi-original. There are a few humours parts, a crazy hobo with bad hair and a hot blind chick. There's a good violinist too, who gets like first on the credits roll which surprised me.

I give it 7/10...but don't take my rating, go watch it and we can discuss.

I shall leave you with a quote from the movie:
Sometimes we do not do the things we want to do because we want to do them.

No comments: