Saturday, September 15, 2007

Today has been a busy day. The theme is sort of "hey let's remind Henry he knows a lot of people".

+ Sonny nicely gave me a ride into Tamaki. I forgot that tutorials on Fridays are before instead of after the lecture, so I spent the tutorial reading The color of magic, and then went to class, and then read the color of magic when I realised I'd missed the tutorial.

Side effect? I have finished The Color of Magic. Great book; not really a gripe but an observation is that, well, it really does seem like the first book in a line of many. Terry Pratchett introduces heaps of alluring characters, but you never really go very far with most of them (of course, you're left wanting more but that's besides the point). About the only constant pair are Rincewald and Twoflower for most of the book.

So yeah. Finished that, and then recorded some rubbish noises in the Electronic Studios, then my piece was played at workshop by Jessica and Alice. The two pianos one.

It went alright. I mean, okay, the players made quite a few more mistakes than there were in the quick practice beforehand, but a lot of that can be attributed to nerves, I reckon. It's kind of weird standing down there addressing the workshop. It's like...yeah. Hmm. I dunno in a way it's like you're in a position of power, really. I was just being a smartarse to some guy who thought my piece was confusing (as if, just stop trying to typeify and understand everything)

28th, 28th...am I busy on the 28th? Isn't that Thomas' 21st? The other two piano piece I know of is being performed then, Joseph's. He is a cool guy.

Okay. So yeah, then that happened, and then I walked down to Britomart to meet Arron who had finished school and headed into town and then we bummed around for a while, had dinner at Wendy's with the Steakhouse Double Melt (oh my god, a more impossibly meaty burger you won't find. I swear. It was like, bread, cow, bread)

And then I read a txt from Helen asking about a book that I'd mentioned earlier in my blog. And she was at Borders in town, and me and Arron had finished eating, so we went over to gather for a bit. Then we left.

And then I saw Jessica outside Borders! Random eh. But yeah, I had just been texting her about the next practices for the two piano piece (it was decided none for next week)

Then we watched The Pillowman, at the Maidment Theatre. Man. I sure can't analyze it like you know, weird English students can, but I sure did appreciate it just as much. Very dark, very absurd, and very funny. It kind of makes you feel bad in a way, that you're laughing at such horrible deeds, but I guess that's the whole point of absurdist plays, isn't it? Nothing is worth very much. Something like that. Anyway, the steal of the cast I felt was the detective man. Perfect character, absolutely spot on.

So the three hour play finishes, we make it to Britomart in time for the last bus home. And guess who I see on the last bus home? Jocellin. Yes. Omg. Haven't seen her in AGGGGESS she came back from Korea and she's on break at the moment. Was doing Law, but feels like dropping it for Anthropology. Wants to work for UNESCO (the dudes who do the world heritage sites). Was going to go to America for a student exchange, but now doesn't want to. So yeah, spent most of the bus towards the Pakuranga transfer talking to her.

And then Simon gets on the bus. Simon from Borders Sylvia Park (from work) who used to work at Borders Queen St. Yeah. What the, eh. And he's carrying a borders bag also. Yeah. Um.

And then well, I transfer onto the 52, and then I see Ada Chu and Arunim.

And now I'm here at my computer.

That was far too long and detailed, but I just felt that this was a good day, and now there's a record of it. Awesome, or something.

People count: 11

No comments: