Sunday, November 27, 2005

[header story: Santa Parade. Sonny was wearing a really furry green costume that enjoyed molting onto me. William, a big plastic blue sail.]

---

I think I should probably explain the "Free Drum Kit" business.

Well. I own a drum kit. If you know me well enough and have entered my house (our? their? hmm), you will realise that we have absolutely no room for it.

It is rather hard to be a drummer without a drum kit, is it not?

So, previously they were staying at Brad's house. They have been there for a while. But then, all of a sudden (or maybe it was boiling in the background like, um, 2 minute noodles), his parents got angry and I am not allowed to leave them there any more. [Subrant: It was rather abrupt. I would have liked even more notice to think about it.]

While Brad did mention "oh John's talking to his parents ill let you know how that goes", it seems like a band-aid treatment for cancer. There is no guarantee his parents will allow for a really annoying musical instrument to be carted into their life, and if there is, there is no guarantee they won't one day suddenly change their minds and ask for it to be removed, whereby I get dumped with the exact same problem.

I do realise I purchased it, and I really should have thought about it more before I forked out the cash. People berate the Africans for having lots of kids and not having any food to feed them. I am wondering, why I bought a drum kit when I obviously do not have room for it. It is like it has to live on a perpetual favour. ("Hey, can you please hold a drum kit in your house. ") [subtopic: Dennis puts it eloquently as "The mince pie wrapper that travels around the commons"] Thus, I have promptly concluded (With myself) that I really don't deserve to have a drum kit, and since there's no "Child Youth and Family" equivalent for drum kits, I am going to give it away - since no government agency's gonna run a smackdown on me.

Yes, that probably means no more FFOF for me.

But. We weren't doing that much anyway. And, we don't have a place to practice.

It feels like I am throwing in the towel. But. Maybe I am. I don't know. It's like...I'm not that good of a drummer anyway I'm sure they can find someone else.

Maybe I shouldn't make such a rash hasty decision. But. I kinda have. I should probably consult the other people (Thomas David John). But. I have not. I have heard nothing, but a text from Brad saying "hey my parents are angry move all the shit out" and then one more a couple of days later "move it out". No reason why. No motive.

AGGRAVATED MURDER?!

I don't. I don't know. It is 12:18am. It is rather late.

So for the time being, Dennis has first dibs. If anybody else wants it, please join the queue, but I do not expect it to be long. Please. Think long and hard. Do you have angry neighbours? Do you have room? Do you really want it? How long do you expect the novelty to last? Have you considered that playing alone on a percussion instrument isn't as exciting as it really could be (ergo you probably want to have a reason for playing it other than for the sole purpose of playing it) Have you considered which room? Acoustics? Will your parents mind?

It feels like I am giving a kid up for adoption, but it's probably best for the kid, and the unprepared teenage parent.

No comments: