Thursday, July 15, 2004

Reminder to self: http://www.brendakelly.com/wall-paper/1024x768/cello.jpg

(Interesting wallpaper, when it works...)

I went to the library and got my library card back yesterday. Honed in the fact that I hadn't gone to the library for ages (since the last time I went was when I still had my card sometime at the start of this year)...but at least I have my card back now. I borrowed four books too. I've read three, in no particular order the books I got out were:

+ The Cello, by James Riordan
+ The Broken Bridge, by Philip Pullman
+ The Shadow In The North, by Philp Pullman
+ The Rag and Bone Shop, by Robert Cormier

I got The Cello out because it was just sitting there on the shelf and it said "the cello". And obviously, being a cellist I was immediately drawn to the book. I got the Philip Pullman ones out because I enjoyed his "His Dark Materials" trilogy...and I got the Robert Cormier one because I saw "Beyond the Chocolate War" on the shelf and decided to try another of Cormier's books.

Hmm, I suddenly had this flashback, one of me being a crappy junior (as opposed to a crappy senior) in the school library and Ms. Wordsworth (I must have been Third Form) trying to pick a book for me to read since I didn't know of any good ones I wanted to read.

Random. Anyway, yeah, I've read The Cello, The Broken Bridge and The Rag and Bone Shop, and all three were very good.


--==The Cello==-

I thought this book was written quite well. It has a lot of parallels to Billy Elliot which was kinda nice considering I just saw the movie. The back of the book says: "Tom gets a lot of grief on the estate where he lives. He's not the same as the others. He's a bit different. Because he plays the cello he's a magnet for the bullies." So instead of ballet/tap dancing, the talent is playing the cello. Instead of a mining strike, it's a riot against paedophiles...and so forth, except Billy isn't gay. Yeah, its the typical "struggle and truimph" fare but still I thought a worthy read.

[This is who I am - whatever they say...]

--==The Rag And Bone Shop==--

This one was quite good. I found it a bit hard to get into but towards the end it was really good...tension was built well with the writing etc.

I'm getting quite lazy with these. Let's just say that they were good books and they served their purpose well, that is to stop me from being bored to death.

Although I do think the books would probably make a good movie...this is the same with most books I read though.

Hmm.

I wish I could play the cello better now, damn you book.

No comments: