Sunday, December 13, 2009

So I should be studying RIGHT NOW but I'm taking a very short break (before I start, naturally) to share my impressions on the latest Apple Tablet video.

I don't think it will work. Why?

1) The "Segway" effect will come into play - that is, no matter how cool/useful a gadget it is, you look like a tard using it. iPhones dont have this problem because they aren't quite big enough for you to look stupid using them. The prototype in the video is big enough to make you look like you are playing with a big piece of plastic.

2) Shaking the tablet to shuffle is a really bad idea. Why would you even implement it? I can't imagine how useful it would be and don't see the benefit outweighing the annoyances (such as it triggering on bumpy bus rides). I imagine it will require developer/coder support to be implemented? Which means it will either end up as web slices on IE8 have (something which nobody ever uses), or blinking marquees back during the days of Netscape (inserted not because it would be useful or functional, but because they can).

3) You can't use it one handed while holding it because it's too big.

So really, my main point is that you can't just blow up an iphone and call it a tablet pc without seriously rethinking what works and what doesn't at the new size. It seems like you don't really get much more out of it, but lose a whole lot in translation.

OK! DISCUSS!! :)

No comments: