Tuesday, July 29, 2008

So, how's about the weather, eh?

Seriously seriously bad weather recently. I'm sick of it! Bring on summer! (Kind of missing Malaysia, sans humidity...)

So yeah. How is everyone?

Last Saturday (during the ridiculous storm), I ignored the news and everyone who I spoke to on the previous night, and rode my motorcycle to work. This was fine. I finished my shift at 2pm, and while driving straight towards the roundabout off Carbine Road in Sylvia Park, a Toyota at a give way sign decided that it would be a good idea to drive. Unfortunately, that meant she didn't actually give way, and crashed into me.

(simple terms, I was driving straight and a car at a give way decided to turn into me)

So, as a result, I was hit, and me and my motorcycle suffered the following injuries:

  • Damaged wheel alignment
  • Broken right indicator (yes, this is the one I had just replaced to get my WoF)
  • Broken rev counter bracket
  • Damage to brake fluid container
  • Damage to headlight housing
  • Damage to rear indicator housing
  • Damaged wing mirrors

  • Scratched visor
  • Grazed knees

(At least, that's what I can ascertain as of now)

The car suffered a dent in the left front fender.

What is it like to be hit by a car? Well, luckily I wear riding gear and it was at a "low" speed (about 30 km/h) The driver of the other car was pretty panicked (as you should be, if you are ever unfortunate enough to hit a motorcyclist) but I guess in the grand scheme of things I was pretty lucky. The wind was a bit ridiculous anyway, and the odds that I'd have a far more serious collision later in my ride home (ie. on the motorway) were pretty high.

The police and security staff at Sylvia Park were excellent. They were at the scene of the collision literally within a minute, and the policeman handling the incident was thorough and knowledgable. I'm still pretty annoyed that I was hit (because I was planning on doing a lot of things back in East Auckland, but after being hit I didn't feel like doing anything). And you know, I had my lights on driving straight, and she was at a give way - she just didn't see me.

So yeah. In a motorcycle/car collision, the biker will always lose. I'm glad I was wearing my jacket, because my upper body was hardly damaged at all, but my pants afforded little protection. The helmet was useful too - very glad that the big gash is on the visor and not on my face. Please look out for motorcyclists when you're driving around, everyone! I know sometimes we do reckless things, but not me; I was totally following the rules, and bam. There I go off my bike. I tried to reach my horn but there wasn't that much time to think, by the time I saw her car colliding into me, I was already on my way down.

She has full liability (raymond, does that mean she has to pay for repairs regardless or? Im still a bit confused about this, and third party/first party insurance, etc etc etc) and her insurance company has not contacted me yet. I will probably annoy her tomorrow.

----

In other news, I've applied for a graduate at Provoke (www.provoke.co.nz), after attending the Careers Fair today. Pretty useful, it was. It sounds like a great place to work and I'd love to get the job, but I'm still on the lookout...

No comments: